Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cabin Fever

 a hot chick, lots of trees, a cabin
wait. what movie is this again?

Flesh-eating diseases are so gross! And so is camping. Combine these elements and you have a movie that really scared me. Things That Could Happen is a genre of movies that totally freaks me out.

Eli Roth's debut film features a group of young people vacationing in the woods amidst a town of crazy folk.  Most good movies share some elements of this plot. Two of my favorites, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Evil Dead come to mind, but this movie is a little different. Instead of over-the-top horror, it's more subtle and realistic. And scary.

Horror films that use diseases as the monster are really fucking un-nerving to me. I don't get a kick out of them like I do silly scary movies, or even creepy ones. These are the kind that stick in my head and keep me from shaking people's hands.

ewwwwww!

I'll never forget watching Cabin Fever for the first time. It's a really fun horror movie! It drags in some places, but more than makes up for it. It's also funny and has a great cameo by Eli Roth.  Why can't we watch movies again for the first time!?  Luckily, I have a poor short-term memory, so parts of it were still kinda new.

Watching Cabin Fever ten years later is so bizarre. I can't believe it's been that long since it came out. Since then I've liked everything Eli Roth has directed. (I have mixed emotions about the Hostel movies, and I'll write about those when I have a better grip on the English language, but mostly I really liked each of them the first time I saw them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment